29 February 2012

Weekly Dinners

I am trying something new and am going to be posting some of my poetry.  I will probably post the same poems more than once, over time, as I revise them.  Since I am just beginning, I welcome all comments.  Thanks! 


Weekly Dinners (Draft 2)

By the time I make my way into the kitchen
the copper bottom pots are churning and bursting, 
peas are bouncing and 
the ham is caramelizing in the oven
the antique serve ware rests on that same blue table cloth
and without her speaking a word, 
I move to place the napkins, 
folded in half, underneath the knives
tuesday nights seem a little more quiet
there are only two of us tonight
there will only be the two of us from now on
between my days spent in school or at work
and her days spent watching t.v. or reading a book
we don't have a lot to say, nothing has changed 
she does tell me that her eye sight is getting worse 
and that it hurts to read
after Wheel of Fortune spins past us
and Jeopardy makes us think a little too hard
I help with the dishes and then hug her good bye
my hands are strong from youth
her body is weak from old age
I can only hope that Grammy will be around 
for our dinner next week
As I walk out the door
I turn and look around the empty room
her cat is sleeping in the arm chair
our imprints are disappearing from the cushions
and the wall heater is warming the house for one

1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited that you decided to start posting some of your poetry on here. Weekly Dinners is a wonderful poem. The lines flow really well to each other and are aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete